I wasn’t around in the South Wales valleys when the mines were still here, but fellow Flickr user trelewis was. She’s posted a set of photos of the Abercynon Colliery before it was closed and cleared (the Navigation Park business park sits on the site today). Good historical photos that might interest anyone who enjoys my Merthyr Road series of photographs.

If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!

1. Steven Owen says:
    March 2nd, 2009 at 8:04 am

My father and uncle worked at Abercynon Bryn & Fred Owen respectively and thier Father. My Dad was a miner and my uncle was a fireman (both very young at the time). My sister was born in a house called Ivy House in 1956, which was just down the road from the Rescue Brigade building on the way down to the Mine. I am fortunately in mining -have been all my life & proud of it. Working now in Africa. I went into the Winding Engine room, in 1987 and enjoyed to be able to closely examine the Bi-chonical double drum winder that was used for hoisting men and materials. The braking system was an hydraulically actuated disc braking systems, that were set at 45 degrees to the ground-which is a very unusual design. The hydraulic power took the brakes off, and large spring nests put the brakes on, when the hydraulic pressure was switched off. At that time, the winder was destined to be moved to another mine, I think that was in Africa. I have a miners lamp dated 1965 and a tally from the Mine for posterity.

2. Ian Pickernell says:
    August 17th, 2009 at 9:04 pm

My interest in Abercynon colliery is because my Granfather my father and my uncle all worked there.

3. Dewi Williams says:
    October 22nd, 2009 at 10:00 pm

My late grandfather Robert Williams from Llyn peninsula worked as a bricklayer at Abercynon colliery around 1896. He used to show a photograph of the house he and his wife lived in.If I can find the old postcard,which other members of the family may still have in their possession, I hope to be able to identify the street etc. Until recently I thought that he worked and lived at Cilfynydd. I must have heard him talk about Cilfynydd when he was well into his eighties in the 1950′s.
    I wonder if there’s a record/list somewhere of the workers employed by Abercynon colliery towards the end of the 19th century?
    Thank you, Diolch yn fawr.

4. deborah brassinne says:
    October 29th, 2009 at 8:01 pm

hey there
    my dad lived at ivy house as a boy with my nan grandad and 6 brothers and one sister he was born in 1944 he too was a miner and in later life a fireman , the name is pritchard,
    it was so great to see your comments on here i had to reply .hope you reply to this email
    the house is no longer there as they have built new houses on it
    It was such a sad day when they knocked it down as you can imagine

5. Bob Wiliams says:
    February 14th, 2010 at 9:34 pm

Hi,
    My name is Robert Williams -although I’m not the one mentioned by Dewi Williams above. However I did work in Abercynon Colliery from 1959/60 to 1969/70. I started in Abercynon as an apprentice electrician with the NCB and worked /visited most of the collieries in the area -including Cym Amman; Aberamman; Nixons Mountain Ash, Navigation Mountain Ash; Deep Navigation Treharris; The Albion in Cilfynydd, Bargeod and many more. But my main base was Abercynon which I know very well and I have fond memories of the pit and the men who worked there, both above and below ground. Abercynon was linked underground to the Albion and Ynysybwl collieries for emergencies and I recall that one particular seam was being worked way under the Cilfynydd Common mountain off to the East. It would have been well past the tip that runs alongside the A470 now. It had reached a point where it was running parallel with a part of the same seam that was being worked from Senghenydd and we had to stop at a particular point and withdraw because it was thought that the boddies of some of the miners who were trapped in the old disaster were in that seam.
    When I started in Abercynon one of my first jobs was involved with the converstion of the Winding engines from steam to electricity together with the main ventilation fan. These were very big projects and I can recall about ten double furnace Lankershire Boliers which supplied steam for the pit 24/7 as they were eventually closed down one by one.
    Very fond and some sad memories, some harrowing experiences underground but wonderful men to work with!

6. mike higgs says:
    February 18th, 2010 at 2:32 pm

BOTH MY GRANDAD’S WORKED AT THIS PIT, THERE NAMES WERE HAYDEN JACKLES AND DAI HIGGS

7. John Henry Williams says:
    March 19th, 2010 at 1:55 pm

My father and grandfather both worked in Abercynon Colliery, my grandfather’s name was William Henry Williams, and my father was John Robert Williams,who started work as a boy of14 in 1920 and left the pits in 1948, he then worked on the Treforet Estate. My grandfather lived on Abercynon Rd, Pontcynon, and we were brought up on Main Road, Ynysboeth. I now live in South Lincolnshire, but still have siblings in South Wales.

8. Phil Godwin says:
    June 13th, 2010 at 5:15 pm

I was brought up in Abercynon, at 15 Bassett Street with my mother, Grandfather and Grandmother. My father died in a road accident when I was one year old. I enjoyed growing up in Abercynon and have very fond memories.

My Grandfather worked in Abercynon Colliery nearly all of his life, and I am sure he was a fireman.

My mother owned a newspaper shop in Abercynon near the junction pub.

When I can I always drive through Abercynon when I am visiting relations who still live in South Wales.

I weny to Carnetown Primary School, and I can remember Dia Dower coming back from winning a European title, I think he lived in Margaret Street.

Fond memories

Phil Goodwin

9. Steve Owen says:
    June 21st, 2010 at 8:50 am

Hi Deborah, Yes I am aware that Ivy house has been knocked down, a long time ago, it was a lovely area, quite close to the river. My mum is Kath Owen, she still lives in the cynon valley, she lives in Avondale street in Ynysboeth, I visit her two or three times a year..love the place really..

10. loraine walsh says:
    June 30th, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Hello I lived at number 29 Bassett street Abercynon 1958—
    with my parents Marion and Jack Walsh, My grandparents lived next door
    28 Mr JACK AND PHYLLIS WALSH does anyone remember them.

11. John Henry Williams says:
    July 29th, 2010 at 10:43 pm

This is a message to Steve Owen. Was your grandfather’s name Fred Owen and your Grandmother’s name Joyce and they lived at 24, Main Road, Ynysboeth, together with Pamela and Michael Owen.?????

12. John Henry Williams says:
    October 27th, 2010 at 10:07 pm

I take it that no one looks at this page any more

13. Ray Butler says:
    November 28th, 2010 at 11:01 pm

I lived in Carnetown between 1944 and 1959. I lost both my Parents at a very young age and was sent from Montgomery to live with an aunt in Carnetown. I went to the Infants Scool in Cardiff Road and then to the Junior school in Salisbury Road, Later the scool in Abercynon which was known as the Clock Scool.
    At the age of 15 I worked at the Co-op in Margaret Street. It was then known as the Cooperative Wholesale Society (C.W.S.) A few months later I went to work for the N.C.B. National Coal Board. I done my training at Aberaman Traing Centre visiting several collieries in the No4 Area. I to Remember Dai Dower and trained with him in the top room in the (Carne)Carne Park Hotel in Park Street,the street where I lived. I Left Abercynon Colliery in 1959. I have very fond memories of my time at Abercynon Colliery and made a great number of friends.I now live in Mid Wales and have for over 50 years but still regard Carnetown and the Valleys as my home.

14. les davies says:
    January 7th, 2011 at 9:05 pm

ivy house where the pritchards lived worked with them all in the pit – it was sad wen it got knocked down ? and steve owen how r u mate had some nice times there is a get together football carn 5th of feb will tell your mam to let u now incase u dont c this.

15. Steven Owen says:
    January 14th, 2011 at 10:13 am

To John Henry Williams, Fred & joice Owen was my uncle and Aunty, did you know them well. My father was Fred Owen’s brother. Yes, they did live on the Main road. Sadly they’ve both past away now. Fred worked at Penrhiwceiber for 47 years. Started off as a Fireman as a young boy 12, finished up as a banksman- he worked his way up. My Mum is Kathleen Owen and she lives still in 73 Avondale Street, I was ther last week-I’m in Johannesburg as I write. Please reply, my email address is sowen@srk.co.za

16. Steven Owen says:
    February 15th, 2011 at 8:49 am

Hi Les Davies,
    Hope you are well mate, I’m home again in March, hows the Disco’s going? Do you still do them? Go well old mate, see you soon. Keep in touch. Steve

17. Ash M says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 12:26 pm

I am looking for some info on the Calfaria Sunday School. Was this in Abercynon?

18. Jon Hughes says:
    June 6th, 2011 at 7:06 pm

My name is jon hughes ,born in Carnetown in 1951, I went to carnetown infanys on cardiff raod, then Carnetown primary Salsbury road and then Mountain ash grammar. I lived at 13 nash street and my grand father, Lewis, worked ay Abercynon pit all his life. Her grew up in ynysydwr, just past the collery in one of the house his father (my great grandfather) built.

I now live in County Kerry, Ireland but visit Abercynon regularly. I never worked at the pit myself, but went there regularly with my grandfather. had many a mug of tes in the canteen, and carried a good few bundles of Blocks( sticks) for the fire from the wood shed.
    Hope spmeome readin this will remember these things and please get in youch would love to hear from any old carnetown school mates if there’s any still around

19. John Ward says:
    June 20th, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Fantastic website.
    I am from Abercycon but now live in New York City U.S.A.
    In particular I find Ray Butler’s comments fascinating.
    Ray worked in the Co-op in Margaret Street, round the
    corner from my house at 22 Mountain Ash Road. I remember you
    Ray because I was always in an out of the ‘CWOP’ ‘the co-op’
    I was born in 1948 and at 15 didn’t go to the mines even though
    my father Jack Ward was the timekeeper at Abercynon Colliery.
    I was an apprentice at Sages in Ynysboeth Industrial Estate
    next to AB’s.
    Thank you Ray you opened up so many memories for me, I wish you
    and I could enjoy a pint and talk about old times.
    By the way I used to go to Carnetown to see my Grandparents at
    18 Taff View ……………its a small world.

20. John Ward says:
    June 22nd, 2011 at 6:31 pm

June 22nd 2011
    To Ash M
    YES Calfaria Sunday School is in Abercynon located at Glancynon Terrace.
    You can look it up on a GPS or use Maps/Google

Best of luck
    John Ward
    Former Abercynon resident

21. John Ward says:
    June 30th, 2011 at 5:16 pm

To Jon Hughes
    I think I know you, your Dad was my chargehand at Sages in ‘the boeth’
    I was born in 1948, went to Carnetown Infants then to the Catholic
    School in the Miskin Mountain Ash. I was too thick to go to Mount Grammar
    but made up for it in later years in Tech. and MIT in the States.
    My Grandad worked in Abercynon Colliery all his life so I appreciate
    what you have say about the ‘blocks’. I recall when they were put on the fire there was a warm smoky smell that I never forgot.
    I have lived in New York City for the past 22 years and work as a free-
    lance consultant engineer. I have never forgotten my upbring in Carnetown
    and Mountain Ash Road. I left Wales in the 70′s to work as a Mechanical
    Engineer in Portsmouth Hampshire, then emigrated to the U.S.A. for a new life.
    Best Regards Jon Have a great Life

22. Jon Hughes says:
    July 12th, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Hi John,

you have a great memory and I am pretty sure I remember you too!

You’re right about my Dad, Lewis Hughes, was a chargehand at Sages until it closed down in the 80′s.

If I remember correctly we went to the same Catholic church at the Navigation in Glancynon? Father Nulty was the priest at the time?

Did you go to Carnetown Junior as well before the Catholic school in Miskin? You may remember my brother Peter, he went to the central school in Abertaf. Not bright enough for mount grammar either, he’s a consultant psychologist now, still in Wales (Cardiff)

I am living in Killarney, County Kerry, Ireland for the past twenty years, my wife (From the Mount) and I have a couple of businesses in town, I lecture at University College Cork as a guest lecturer and also work as a business development consultant across the EU. Also did some visiting work in NYC some years ago, was there lasy year Christmas shopping for a few days too.

Maybe we should exchange e-mail addresses and keep in contact? Don’t know how many of us are left now.

Best wishes from Ireland

Jon

23. John Ward says:
    July 13th, 2011 at 3:48 pm

To Jon Hughes
    Hello Jon
    Thank you for your response.
    Your Dad taught me a lot about the finer arts of metalwork.
    Father Nulty, I forgot about him, I was an altar boy when he ruled the roost.
    To answer your question. I left Carnetown Infants sometime in 1955 and was
    sent straight off to the Catholic school in Miskin in the Mount.
    It was full of tough nut Italian, Irish, Polish, German and even some Welsh kids. It was a mish mash of kids with different ethnic backgrounds, but you know what ?? it was the making of me.
    I got married in 1970 moved to the Mount, got divorced in 1979 and moved to Pompey (Portsmouth) England and worked for the Admiralty as a Mech.Engineer on surface weapons. I went to Southampton University and got Masters Degrees in Materials Science and Structural Engineering.
    In the late 80′s I became totally disillusioned with Britain and its stupid salary system. I landed on America’s shores in 1989 and secured a job as an engineer running a New York City Elevator Company. By 1995 I attended Mass Institute of Technology and by 97 got Phd’s in Traction Engineering and Computer Engineering. Now I have the best boss I ever worked for..ME
    Jon if you want to keep in touch my e-mail its jayrox_56@msn.com
    Thanks again for your response
    You are correct there aint many of us left out there.

John Ward
    Staten Island
    The Big Apple

24. Paul Ujj says:
    July 19th, 2011 at 8:03 am

Hi there Stuart.
    I live in Australia & have no Welsh background at all.
    However, some years ago we’d become firm friends with a lovely retired couple who live in Swansea. They visit us every 2 years or so & stay at our home for some of their trip (the rest is visiting their son who lives here in Sydney).
    Mered is in his 80s & had acquired a very nice miners lamp many years ago which was used in Abercynon Colliery. He says it is a ‘gas tester’s lamp’ & it came with a rubber ball which you used to suck up some gas & pump it into a hole in the base of the lamp. I liked it so much I bought it & now sits here in our living area, battered but much admired. Apparently the gas tester who last owned this lamp was called Monty. The lamp is an E. Thomas & Williams Ltd model G2, no. 68 on it’s tag. I was wondering if there is any way to find out more about ‘Monty’, when he worked at the colliery etc. Is ther a list of employees somewhere perhaps ? I’d be interested in any history I can associate with this lamp.

Cheers Paul, Sydney Australia.

25. Michael says:
    July 24th, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Les/Steve, i remember the pritchards in abercynon i was there a month or so ago and was amazed that the house they lived in was not there. progress i suppose, does anybody know where kevin and dylan are these days? i was in school with them many years ago, good footballers as i remember. im back in new zealand now but am planning to come back over next year for the rugby.
    god bless wales.

26. Steven Owen says:
    September 16th, 2011 at 10:37 am

To paulujj: i started this blogg sometime back!!! my dad worked at abercynon as a very young boy eleven Years of age_i also have a thomas & williams lamp from abercynon colliery_my wife sian bought it for me for christmas one year_cried my etes out when i opened the parcel on xmas day!!!!the lamp no was one hundred and forty seven_it must have been on the same lamp rack as your lamp>>>scarey the lamps are still made in aberdare just up the valley _visit thomasandwilliams website they still sell working lamps

27. Steven Owen says:
    September 16th, 2011 at 10:41 am

to jon & john< my dad left the mine and worked next door to sages in ab electronics_its still ther today!!! i did a final year project at treforrest polytechnic for sages_to redesign thier shelve profiles because the shelve lugs(that locked the shelve brackets in) where breaking in all the supermarkets

28. John Ward says:
    September 20th, 2011 at 4:26 pm

To Steve Owen
    Hello Steve,
    Great to hear from you. I was a fitter at Sages and ended up in the drawing office at Ynysboeth and in the Harringay d/office in London. From my window I could see all the people going into AB’s I knew loads of them.
    I remember the brackets and ‘cleats’ you are talking about and it comes as no surprise that they were breaking especially on the wider 15″ and 18″ wide shelves. In those far off days I wasn’t involved in the strength of materials of what we were drafting up because I was just a draughtsman, wheras now everything I design is via CAD and Finite Analysis software.
    In London I was involved in Otis Elevator components and assemblies which is why I am still into the ‘Lift’ business here in the States.
    I design the whole Elevator Package for a New and an Existing building and tell the Ardhitects what we will require to winch the elevator up up from the lowest landing to the highest landing.
    Back to Wales, I came from Carnetown originally and my Mam and Dad lived in Mountain Ash Road opposite the Spy pub so I didn’t have far to go for a pint or over to the Workman’s Hall to see a film. Its all gone now but I have the memories………..they can’t take that away from us Steve.
    My Grandad worked in Abercynon Pit for approx 35 years, my Dad ended up as Timekeeper at Albion Pit but started out at Abercynon.
    You and I have a lot in common Steve. If you ever wish to e-mail me I am reachable at jayrox_56@msn.com
    I have read your Blogs they are interesting and full of history.
    Best Regards John Ward …………Abercynon boy in the Big Apple

29. Dilwyn says:
    November 6th, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Mike re post 24th July 2011,
    Mike i just read your post, sadly Kevin passed away a couple of years ago, im living in Cwmbach Aberdare now. Hope life in New Zealand is good, watched the Rugby World Cup on TV looks a lovely country. I visit the site of the old colliery often, i worked there for ten years and had some great times,it is sad that our old house was pulled down, when you think that where it was situated there is nothing there?, if you wish to contact my email address is dilwynpritchard@aol.com

30. Jane Wood says:
    January 29th, 2012 at 10:57 am

I am trying to trace relatvies of my mother’s. They lived in Cardiff Road, Carentown, Abercynon. I believe my aunt Beatrice Rees lived there until the late 60′s at least, possibly longer. She married in the late 60′s and took the name Morgan. My mothers name was Marion and would be 84 now. Just wondering if anyone has any information at all about this family.

Thank you.

31. John Ward says:
    March 4th, 2012 at 2:18 am

Hi Stuart
    It’s nice to see this site up and running again.
    I have tried over the past few months to see the latest incoming mail and
    it was zero. It’s quite interesting for locals like me (I live 400 miles away) but still keep tabs on what’s going on in the valleys as if I was there. It’s a good site please keep it up.

Dr John Ward
    Staten Island
    New York City
    (formerly Mountain Ash Rd Abercynon)

32. John Ward says:
    March 4th, 2012 at 2:20 am

oops Stuart ……………..4000miles way

John Ward

33. susan mcgovern says:
    March 7th, 2012 at 6:57 pm

I am trying to trace relatives in abercynon.my mother,ethel lewis,and her brothers and sisters were brought up in the basin.her dad Gunner lewis,was a miner.They left in 1937 to live and work on welsh land settlements in pembrokeshire. my grandfather lived in Martins terrace.His sister,Nin, had a sweet shop in abercynon. He also had a brother Reg and a sister Annie.

34. Andrew Davies says:
    March 18th, 2012 at 12:22 am

Hi just been reading through some of the comments and wondered if any of you knew my mother or any of her family, her name was Dorothy o’brien and lived at 74 nant y fedw, she was born in 1948 but had older sibling’s her parent’s name’s were Maurice O’brien and Hilda O’brien, there children were Kathleen, Maurine, john, william, Pauline, Dorothy (My mother), Michael and Sheelagh. Would be great to hear from anyone who knew them !!

35. John Ward says:
    April 26th, 2012 at 2:53 pm

To Andrew Davies
    Andrew did your mother go to the Catholic School in Miskin Mountain Ash??

John Ward
    New York City
    U.S.A.

36. John Ward says:
    April 27th, 2012 at 5:56 pm

To Andrew Davies
    Hello again.
    It must be deja Vu but the Dorothy O’Brien I knew when I lived in Wales was in the same class as me in the Catholic School in the Miskin in the Mount.
    That would be from 1955 to 1963. She passed to go to Aberdare College of
    Further Education. I knew Dorothy’s Dad because he used to attend St Thomas Church in Abercynon where I was an altar boy.
    I reckon we are talking the same family.

John Ward

37. HUW WILLIAMS says:
    January 9th, 2013 at 12:25 pm

my name is huw williams born in abercynon 1945 lived at 67 lock st my dad worked at the colliery as delivery coal driver tommy north.my mother was from carnetown lizzie mary thomas.all my relitives lived at carnetown aunty sophie uncle will hansie thomas josie thomas bob thomas .i can remember the times we would go to the empress in the 60s where we would dance to tommy scott and the seneters.also to the railway canteen every sat and sunday for a sing song i went to work on the footplate at abercynon shedswhere i worked with great people +like ron richards .wilf bowden jp.howard hall.les emery. bill jenkins .cyril howe.great old men from the past.fantastic village.in 1968 i married a ponty girl and moved there.i am still in contact with many friends from abercynon.

38. HUW WILLIAMS says:
    January 10th, 2013 at 8:15 pm

great site stuart

39. Keith(Deek) Jones says:
    January 12th, 2013 at 4:47 pm

It was most interesting to read the stories and comments about Abercynon Colliery.I started as an Apprentice Surveyor at Albion Colliery on its closure I was transferred to Abercynon.I was not too happy there for the first six months as it was a lot different to Albion.However I certainly got to like the pit after.When we linked up with Lady Windsor Colliery it wasn’t quite the same.I finished at Abercynon in March 1976 when I joined Thyssen(GB)ltd who were Mining Contractors.I will always have fond memories of the pit and the men.Sadly I was involved with the preperation of the shafts for filling,a very difficult job in view of my fond memories

40. john matthews says:
    January 24th, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Hi.I was born in 1949 my family lived in 16 plantation road abercynon my grandfather Hopton Matthews had a shoe repairing business in ynysmeurig road. My two brothers David and Alan and my parents Olwen and Vivian Matthews worked in A.B. Metals in Ynysboeth.
    I attended carnetown infants and juniors and then abercynon secondary otherwise known as the clock school.
    I remember john ward as your father did his best to teach me the piano but despite his best efforts i failed to aquire that skill.
    Also jon hughes of nash street if i have the right person you have an older brother peter.
    Just to update you the clock school has recently been demolished and a new school is being built this will also replace carnetown infants and juniors and abertaf juniors.
    I still live in the village although it has changed a lot from my youth.Most of the lovely old buildings have been demolished namely the workmens hall the spy and junction pubs the police station and magistrates court several chapels and churces the empress dance hall where tom jones started his career.

41. Andrew Davies says:
    January 28th, 2013 at 11:52 am

To John Ward
    Yes my mother did go to the catholic school, her dad (my grandfather) came from ireland and had quite a strong accent, i believe it was in the 60′s that he had a motorbike accident in which he lost his leg.

42. Seven Owen says:
    February 6th, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Hi Dilwyn,
    Steve here, my Mam & Dads’ first house together after marrying was a singleroom bedsit in Ivy House-what was it like-can you remember?

43. Dilwyn says:
    March 29th, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Hi Steve, i do not remember the house being a bedsit, but it may well have been used before we moved there in the early 60s, the rooms at the house were all quite big, there was a old cottage attached to the side of ivy house that had about 4 rooms as i recall, the cottage was not used by us and was pulled down in the 70s. Hope you are well?

44. vernon says:
    April 28th, 2013 at 10:22 pm

HELLO EVERYONE, my name is Vernon Edwards and i lived at 218 Abercynon rd untill i joined the army in 1964.My grandfather Samuel Albert Edwards worked in the pit all his life . I can remember him coming home black and always with a bundle of fire wood.I can remember walking to quakers yard for the annual fair, going to the engine sheds to watch the steam locos and spending many a summer day in abercynon park pool.We would go to the cinema in the workmens hall which showed 2 films a week and the fair in the basin.All in all good days , good fun but it all comes to an end, YOU GROW UP.

45. jon hughes says:
    May 21st, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Hi again,

Reading through the posts I can’t help thinking how many of the landmark sites in Abercynon have been demolished, not just the big buildings, but the little things that went with them. Anyone remember Dick’s sweetshop under the workmans’ hall? My brother (Peter) and I both went to Carnetown infants and juniors and made a daily call at Edna’s sweet shop on aberdare road, or mrs Evans shop at the top of park street. night time calls to whithers chip shop, or the long walk to Sheppards chippy at the top of margaret street. maybe Joe’s cafe for a frothy coffee or steamed pie? Playing in the little woods on the way home from school. the long trek to first peak, second peak and finally top peak. sunny days down farm woods, down the canal bank in ynys yr dwr and on to the old swing bridge. Anyone else remember any of these great old places that have disappeared for ever?

46. john matthews says:
    June 25th, 2013 at 9:30 am

hello jon hughes
    i well remember those places and your brother peter my family lived in plantation road up the hill from the ynysmeurig hotel or the spy as it was known

47. tony reece says:
    July 26th, 2013 at 12:18 pm

I am searching for relatives of Margeret Harris who was born in abercynon in 1908, and later became Margaret Richards. She died in 2000.I know she lived in Glancynon Terrace in 1994

48. john smith says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 10:56 am

Hi
    I ALSO WORKED AT ABERCYNON COLLIERY STARTED IN 1966 AT THE AGE OF 15
    I WAS AN APPRENTICE ELECTRICIAN SERVED MY APPRENTICESHIP AND CONTINUED
    TO WORK THERE FOR SOME 22 YRS WHAT A GREAT 22YRS U WILL NEVER SEE SUCH
    SOLIDARITY COMRADESHIP AND SPIRIT EVER AGAIN

49. les davies says:
    September 27th, 2013 at 8:50 am

to Andrew davies I live in nant y fedw born 1948 and still live same house (17)and new your mam and her kids mike Sheila my name les davies

50. keith williams says:
    November 11th, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Hi everyone. I am searching for photographs or any information of my fathers childhood house ynys yr dwr farm down past the pit, My fathers name is Graham Williams, i believe the family members who had houses there were ” staples , O’Reilly , mc Travis , and us the Williams ” my grand mother Roma and my grand father evan (yanto) lived there with my dad. any information or a photo would be excellent because for the life of me i cant find any photos of ynys yr dwr.
    Thanks all and any help would be grateful.

51. les davies says:
    November 22nd, 2013 at 1:59 pm

hi steve owen don’t come on her much nice to here from you jeff Dudley playing for wales over 60s sat in Merthyr ?? my email djlesdavies@hotmail.co.uk

52. Andrew Davies says:
    December 28th, 2013 at 10:04 am

Hi Les
    You have the right family but mike and sheelagh we’re my mum’s younger siblings, there was 8 of them lol, my mum was also born in 48 so you would have been the same age, she married my dad (from trehafod) and moved to kent. We used to come and stay with my grandparents every school holidays as kids in the 70′s/80′s.

53. Keith (deek) jones says:
    February 5th, 2014 at 3:03 pm

I note with interest from John Ward that his father was a timekeeper.When I started work at the Albion Colliery in Cilfynydd Jack was a timekeeper there. When Albion closed in September 1966 I was transferred to Abercynon as was Jack who I knew quite well

54. Graham Hillman, says:
    March 9th, 2014 at 7:13 am

Hello keith,
    I knew your father very well we were born on the same day ,i also remember your gran and grandad,your grandad used to have a very nice vauxhall vx 490 car in white iirc. vic staples is living around the corner from me,there was a lady living next door to your gran by the name of sally,dont know if you would remember her,i have’nt seen your father for donkey’s years,is he still about? if so will you tell him i was asking after him.
    regards Graham.

55. Paul Evans says:
    March 10th, 2014 at 3:20 pm

I had two maternal Great Grand Uncles who died in separate mine disasters at abercynon. Thomas John Evans died 9 May 1937 and William Evans died 8 February 1947. My father Hedley James Evans family lived at 43 Gertrude Street and my Aunt still lives in Lock Street. My Grandmother Blodwyn Evans was born in Quakers Yard 1904.

56. John Ward says:
    April 6th, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Hello Keith
    Yes, Jack (my Dad) used to talk about you. He used to refer to you as D K Jones the surveyor. Also he had another surveyor mate who used to come to
    our house in Mountain Ash Rd. He was Frank Griffiths who my Dad used to play
    the piano for when Frank sang in the Working Mens clubs.
    Sadly,Frank was electrocuted one night when he pick up the Mic to sing and it
    was wired wrongly.
    Jack had a load of pals from the NCB, and to me they were all characters and had a fantastic sense of humour.
    All marvellous priceless memories Keith, thanks for your input.

John Ward

Easter Cross
The North Route Up Pen-y-Fan
Cribyn
Remove Tape Before Firing
Pratt and Whitney Double Wasp

About This Blog

Welcome to my photography blog. I hope you enjoy the different projects that I'm working on:

Feedback is always welcome. Comments are moderated to prevent spam.

Want to know more about this blog?.

You can contact me as stuart (at) stuartherbert dot com, and follow me on Twitter.

#photography Tweets