North of Navigation, in the shadow of the Giant’s Bite and Cefn Glas, stands one of the few surviving bridges that used to span the Glamorganshire Canal. Built in 1792, this bridge is 7 miles from where Canal Head used to be. This whole area is teeming with relics of the industrial heritage of the route along the canal:
- Just a few hundred yards from this bridge is the eastern end of the Cefn Glas tunnel, which ran under the mountain from Penrhiwceiber to Quaker’s Yard via one of the lost viaducts over the River Taff.
- Behind is the Giant’s Bite, an odd stone quarry dominating the skyline to the west.
- Across the river runs the Penydaren Tramway, the route of the first steam railway journey in the world.
- The tramroad runs near Pontygwaith and its historic bridge over the Taff.