The Rooftops Of Cilfynydd

Cilfynydd today stands on the northern edge of Pontypridd as it creeps up the Taff valley towards Abercynon and beyond to Merthyr Tydfil. It sits to the east of the route of the Glamorganshire Canal (now buried beneath the A470 trunk road).

Most of the old terraced housing was built between 1884 and 1910, with the population exploding from a hundred or so people to over 3,500! This sudden population of what was originally a farming hamlet was driven by the opening of the Albion Colliery (closed 1966; today is the site of Pontypridd High School) in 1887. The village suffered great tragedy and loss in 1894 when 290 men and boys were killed by a massive underground explosion in the colliery.

References:

Copyright (c) 2010 Stuart Herbert. blog | twitter: (photography) (all).

1. Jill Plane says:
    January 19th, 2013 at 8:21 pm

Interested in articles on Cilfynydd, as I grew up there. It now seems astonishing that the coalmine there, was only open for 79 years. I remember, as a child, having the opportunity to go over the working mine with my parents, and actually looking down the pit – there was just quite a low and flimsy railing around it – still gives me shudders, thinking of the great depth so near me.

2. Jill Plane says:
    January 19th, 2013 at 8:21 pm

3. barry clatworthy says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 8:06 am

i lived in number 7 howell st,from 1958 to 1970..had a great childhood growing up there.

4. barry clatworthy says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 8:06 am

5. RODNEY N.J.SMITH says:
    November 14th, 2013 at 8:03 pm

LIVED IN 85 WOOD STREET FROM 1941 ESCAPED 1956,Ha Ha!
    GOOD MEMORIES,NOW IN US.

6. RODNEY N.J.SMITH says:
    November 14th, 2013 at 8:03 pm

LIVED IN 85 WOOD STREET FROM 1941 ESCAPED 1956,Ha Ha!
    GOOD MEMORIES,NOW IN US.