I’m currently looking for two PHP developers to come and join my web development team at Gradwell. The team creates and maintains the web-based control panels for our award-winning VoIP service, plus our broadband, email, and web hosting services. From time to time we also get to do crazy things like Twittex and Facebook applications. Our partners often describe us as the geekiest company they ever have to deal with. And one nice bonus is that we use Linux for our desktops not Windows 🙂

The full details are on the Gradwell website, but the basics are that I’m looking for people with a computer science / software engineering degree, with PHP experience (via open-source projects is fine; it doesn’t have to be commercial experience), and experience with symfony is a major plus. It’s essential that you fit in with everyone else in the company, so you’ll need to be someone who’s proactive but supportive rather than competitive.

If you’re interested in applying, talk to me on Twitter or send through a CV and covering letter explaining why you’re the person for the role to stuart(dot)herbert at gradwell(dot)com.

No Comments

1. AntonioCS says:
    April 29th, 2009 at 2:30 pm

“one nice bonus is that we use Linux for our desktops not Windows” I really don’t get this one. What’s the big problem of using windows? In the company I worked for they didn’t really cared what we used. Some had windows others had linux. PHP will mostly behave exactly in windows as it does in linux.

As long as you have a nice IDE and all the stuff you need to run you php apps/websites don’t really see the big victory of either using windows or linux

April 29th, 2009 at 2:59 pm

I really don’t know how to answer that one 🙂 From an engineering point of view, I’m old school … you should create your apps on the platform they will be deployed on. “Mostly” doesn’t cut it at this level. From an enjoyment point of view, I enjoy working with folks who are as passionate about their tech as I am … and these folks typically enjoy using Linux desktops and don’t enjoy using Windows.

3. AntonioCS says:
    April 29th, 2009 at 2:30 pm

April 29th, 2009 at 2:59 pm

5. Mikko says:
    April 29th, 2009 at 5:18 pm

@AntonioCS,

case-(in)sensitivity is where the problems often arise, not that much of the PHP itself.

6. Mikko says: