As part of the research I’m doing for a new conference talk, I’m running a poll to find out when people are planning to switch to PHP 5.3. After the very slow uptake of PHP 5.0, I’m very curious to see how quickly PHP 5.3 will be adopted.

Many thanks!

No Comments

1. MediaBlitz says:
    May 14th, 2009 at 4:24 pm

Not until Fedora/Red Hat push it into their repositories at the very earliest.

2. MediaBlitz says:
    May 14th, 2009 at 4:24 pm

Not until Fedora/Red Hat push it into their repositories at the very earliest.

3. Christoph Pojer says:
    May 14th, 2009 at 4:50 pm

Hello,

I feel like posting a comment about this here. I want to move to PHP5.3 as fast as possible because it is just awesome. Lambdas are an essential nowadays and they make coding a lot more fun. It makes the language a lot better.

Sadly, I can’t move my framework yet as I’m not sure when the webhost on which I deploy websites on will move to php5.3. I will update my server as fast as possible though 🙂

4. Christoph Pojer says:
    May 14th, 2009 at 4:50 pm

Hello,

5. Fabry says:
    May 14th, 2009 at 9:30 pm

As fast as possible!!

6. Fabry says:
    May 14th, 2009 at 9:30 pm

As fast as possible!!

7. Jacob Santos says:
    May 14th, 2009 at 9:35 pm

Compiling PHP is simple enough that I already rolled it out on my personal setup that doesn’t have anything critical on it.

May 14th, 2009 at 9:53 pm

Hi everyone … thanks for the feedback left here. Can you make sure you click through and vote in the twtpoll? 🙂 Thank you very much!

9. Jacob Santos says:
    May 14th, 2009 at 9:35 pm

May 14th, 2009 at 9:53 pm

11. crazyj says:
    May 14th, 2009 at 11:56 pm

I’m already using the RCs on my development box and I intend to roll 5.3 into production as soon as possible after the official release of both PHP 5.3 and OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard). They are slated for release in similar timeframes and will make the switch to both at the same time.

12. crazyj says:
    May 14th, 2009 at 11:56 pm

13. Toby says:
    May 15th, 2009 at 12:02 am

From the fun and testing point of view, I already upgraded a longer time ago. From the customers point of view, not any time soon (5.3.2?).

14. Toby says:
    May 15th, 2009 at 12:02 am

15. Terminology software developer says:
    May 15th, 2009 at 7:30 am

Can’t develop on 5.3 before the hosting company that i use starts using 5.3.
    Hope it will happen in next 6 months.

16. Terminology software developer says:
    May 15th, 2009 at 7:30 am

Can’t develop on 5.3 before the hosting company that i use starts using 5.3.
    Hope it will happen in next 6 months.

17. Iwan Luijks says:
    May 16th, 2009 at 2:31 pm

Directly.

Why?
    I’m waiting for namespaces to become standard in PHP since PHP 4, and now, they finally became standard, so that probably explains my will to migrate directly to PHP 5.3.

18. Iwan Luijks says:
    May 16th, 2009 at 2:31 pm

Directly.

Why?

19. someguy says:
    May 27th, 2009 at 8:12 am

“As soon as we can”, for us. This isn’t “as soon as it comes out” or “as soon as there’s a binary”, it’s more like “as soon as we’re sure it won’t break anything”
    Late static binding would make things so much easier- we could actually use inheritance sanely!

20. someguy says:
    May 27th, 2009 at 8:12 am

21. _ says:
    June 15th, 2009 at 5:53 pm

PHP is garbage. You can’t fix garbage by adding more garbage on top of it. Rewrite it!

22. _ says:
    June 15th, 2009 at 5:53 pm

23. Vygantas says:
    August 9th, 2009 at 7:04 pm

Once 5.3.2 comes out.

24. Vygantas says:
    August 9th, 2009 at 7:04 pm

Once 5.3.2 comes out.

25. IT_Architect says:
    October 12th, 2010 at 6:57 pm

Not until a larger majority leave Zend and move to IonCube. Zend does not support the zend optimizer in FreeBSD, which is the operating system that the largest and most profitable hosts use for shared hosting. I have them myself as well. I will say that from a compatibility standpoint, scripts are starting to catch up pretty good.

26. IT_Architect says: