Poll: Have you adopted PHP 5.3 yet?

Posted by Stuart Herbert on September 1st, 2009 in Opinion, Toolbox.

Earlier in the year, before PHP 5.3 was released, I asked the community a series of questions about their attitudes towards moving to PHP 5.3, and had a fantastic response. I’m going to turn all of those answers into a new conference talk that I’m working on.

Now that PHP 5.3 has been around for a few months and we’ve started seeing plenty of blog posts covering all the new features in PHP 5.3, I’m wondering whether or not you have actually moved to PHP 5.3 yet. I’m especially curious to see how this compares to what people said they’d do before it came out :)

Please vote on twtpoll to let me know if you have moved to PHP 5.3, and if not, what’s still stopping you. Many thanks in advance!

1. Giorgio Sironi says:
    September 1st, 2009 at 8:46 am

I personally have, but currently my hosting did not already.

2. Maarten says:
    September 1st, 2009 at 9:26 am

yes we adopted it, went from php4 to php5.3 without too many problems, just some small weird OO hacks which we had in our code which needed adapting, and we used E_STRICT to also get rid of alot of deprecated functions etc.
    The only downside so far is that we forgot to check for proprietary extension support. As PDFLib’s TET is not supported so far, we are having some problems with that, so be sure to check those kinda things before moving to a new version….

3. Martin F says:
    September 1st, 2009 at 9:36 am

I did upgrade yeah, but it was far too much of a struggle considering that nobody really cares about pecl for windows, so working extensions are scarce, that alone pretty much made it a horrible experience getting my dev environment up and running.

In the end, not really worth it.

4. Ronald D. Willis says:
    September 1st, 2009 at 11:30 am

I am currently working on my new website and its codebase requires PHP 5.3.x. No more backwards compatibility this time around – I’ve gone all out with the namespaces and late static binding, and the entire namespace will be stored in one Phar archive.

By the time I’m done I anticipate that 5.3.1 will be out and by that point it should be available for use on my web host’s servers.

5. PHP Developer says:
    September 1st, 2009 at 1:28 pm

I did not move yet, what is stopping me is that most clients havenīt updated there servers to 5.3 yet and itīs not a one day thing to do it. So i just canīt use it and gonna wait until it is more common used before i ran in the problem that i try to realize things which are not working at my client or project cause they have an older PHP version.

6. Stuart Herbert’s Blog: Poll: Have you adopted PHP 5.3 yet? | Webs Developer says:
    September 1st, 2009 at 2:01 pm

[...] Herbert has an informal post asking for feedback on how many developers/organizations out there have already adopted this latest [...]

7. Samuel Folkes says:
    September 1st, 2009 at 2:12 pm

I haven’t made the switch because the hosting companies I work with haven’t upgraded as yet. I play around with it on my development machine though…

8. Mangirdas says:
    September 1st, 2009 at 3:39 pm

We build websites on PHP 5.3 We use clean code with namespaces.

9. Miles Johnson says:
    September 1st, 2009 at 4:05 pm

I would love to develop in it, but personally have nothing to work on that would use 5.3. And its quite hard to find extra time to do so either.

I will probably wait until most hosts start supporting it, or at least 5.3.1

10. JamesD says:
    September 1st, 2009 at 6:42 pm

I think there are 2 main reasons that people haven’t moved to 5.3 yet. 1) A lot of hosting services haven’t installed it yet. 2) There are a very few number of extensions and 3rd party utilities that have actually moved to 5.3.

It will be some time until its adoption. I think 5.2 will still be the most used version for months to come.

11. Stuart Herbert’s Blog: Poll: Have you adopted PHP 5.3 yet? | PHP says:
    September 1st, 2009 at 7:10 pm

12. Ernie Leseberg says:
    September 2nd, 2009 at 1:48 am

Not yet. There are some nice features in 5.3, but nothing essential to my work. But as mentioned above, the biggest issue is external hosting. Any external hosts we use are on various levels of 5.2 and I believe this will be the way for at least the rest of the year.

13. Maarten says:
    September 2nd, 2009 at 6:32 am

Oh yeah, another problem we had is with mysqlnd, that didn’t want to work with our (Centos/RHEL) mysql setup, apparently a known bug

14. Jeff Dickey says:
    September 2nd, 2009 at 11:10 am

I’m in the same boat as everybody else: (most of) my own personal systems have been updated, but neither my hosting provider nor clients have yet. (two are still on 5.2.0 and show no sign of budging :( – ouch!)

PHP 6, you ask? These guys will probably get it up and running sometime in the PHP 8.x timeframe…

15. Maciej says:
    September 3rd, 2009 at 7:52 am

We’re running 5.2 on our main server but on new side projects’ machines we’re running 5.3.

16. Paul Maunders says:
    September 5th, 2009 at 8:19 am

We use Centos 5 which doesn’t include php 5.3 as standard – so one of our developers created some RPMs to make the installing it easier:

17. Seb says:
    September 22nd, 2009 at 12:23 pm

Well – I wish my Dedicated server could have it installed – but because cPanel doesn’t yet – we cannot install it and make sure that everything will work fine. Unfortunately we have to wait for cPanel to do the update.