A recent El Reg article about trends in the PHP community caught my eye yesterday morning. The headline is about Zend’s depressing statistic that the majority of PHP developers do their development on Windows these days (which I’m assured by Marco is old news) … and that’s worth talking about at some point, but it isn’t what interested me the most.

As reported by El Reg, Zend’s survey results show that “seventy per cent use Zend’s Studio or Eclipse PHP Developer Tools, while 18 per cent use Vim.”

This isn’t a case of Zend making wild claims though, just less than full reporting by El Reg this time around. Zend’s own press release make it crystal clear that these are the results of a survey conducted across the Zend Framework developer community; most likely (but not directly attributed) the 2009 survey. That they haven’t released the breakdown for Zend Studio vs Eclipse PDT is perhaps telling, but still, the real headline should be:

In its own community, Zend is being very successful at convincing its community members to use multiple Zend products.

Zend’s “full-stack” strategy is starting to yield results, and it looks like Zend Framework might have been the missing component that held back their earlier attempts. The whole stack has been refreshed, true (Zend Studio now runs on Eclipse, Zend Core has folded into Zend Platform, which itself has the new and far-better-architected Zend Server positioned below it), but with Zend Framework, Zend are (imho) now able to appeal to the sort of developer communities who are willing to pay Zend’s prices. And Zend Framework is finally a product that third parties can make money from, making Zend a little more relevant in the daily lives of your average PHP developer. (I’m a great believer that a key component of all really successful products is that third parties can make money off it, not just the original creator / provider).

Now, if only Zend had an outreach programme for making Zend Server suited both technically and commercially for ISPs like where I work to consider adopting for their shared hosting and VPS customers …

No Comments

1. Shahar Evron says:
    February 18th, 2010 at 7:55 pm

Hi,

Interesting analysis 🙂

First about prices – while it’s true we have a full stack that costs (a lot?) of money, we also have PDT, Zend Server CE and ZF – not as full featured but still pretty nice, and free.

More important about catering for the hosting industry – it’s true we don’t appeal much to the shared hosting market, but I do think that for VPS customers there’s a lot of value in Zend Server. Are you saying it’s not suitable for technical reasons or some pricing/licensing/business issue? We’ve had several people ask us if there are hosting companies providing ZS based hosting, so I’d be happy if you drop me an email (shahar dot e at zend) with your thoughts.

Shahar.
    (yes, I’m the Technical PM for Zend Server)

2. Shahar Evron says:
    February 18th, 2010 at 7:55 pm

Hi,

Interesting analysis 🙂

Shahar.
    (yes, I’m the Technical PM for Zend Server)

3. Shaun Farrell says:
    February 19th, 2010 at 1:03 pm

I was impressed by the #’s a bit. My one questions is does anyone know anyone using Zend Server in production? I believe that Zend Server is a great product for development but not sure about production yet.

Also, I use Zend Studio for my Framework development but I have heard really really good things about netbeans and its support for Zend Framework. Anyone use netbeans?

Yeah.. I do agree that Zend Prices are more for the industry and not for the small consulting firms out there that are doing a lot of the development.

4. Shaun Farrell says:
    February 19th, 2010 at 1:03 pm

5. _sr says:
    February 20th, 2010 at 10:22 pm

I’m not really seeing any evidence here, sorry.

At my workplace we’ve been using Zend Studio since 5.0 or even earlier, the key part is that no one had even thought of the Zend Framework yet.

Then, although there surely are some alternatives, let’s not think for longer than a few sec and name Symfony, Solar, Agavi, CodeIgniter – I still think ZF is the one in most widespread use. I don’t want to guess about the reasons, it’s not perfect, but reasonably useful.

So, then how many IDEs are there? Of course you can work with Notepad.exe, but Zend Studio is not bad per se as well.

So where exactly is the evidence that ZF users will use a Zend IDE (please don’t say because of the quite new and ridiculuous integration) and -even more- why would Zend IDE users choose their framework just because it is made by Zend?

6. _sr says:
    February 20th, 2010 at 10:22 pm

I’m not really seeing any evidence here, sorry.

This Month