I’m a great believer in the power of self-education, especially if you are (or want to be) in a more senior role in your firm or organisation. A regular reading list is a great way to learn more about how others are solving problems that you might be, or are about to be, struggling with. I’ve been surprised at how little people I know read, though.

Over the years, I’ve built up a list of blogs that I read daily to try and keep up with what is happening in the wider digital world. It isn’t a complete list for sure, but it’s a good start.

I’m certain that there are many other blogs out there that belong on this list. If you know of any, please send me a pull request :)

1. Daniel O'Connor says:
    July 31st, 2011 at 10:07 am

Planet PEAR is a small aggregation of the goings on in PEAR-land – not huge traffic; but occasionally providing a few useful posts.

One which I think is quite useful is http://planetrdf.com/ – it’s focused on structured data; and has been going for some time. If you have an interest in open data; it’s well worth a read – especially posts about rdfa. Perhaps a little niche; but if you work with front end web things, trying to sell products or share content, it’s worth getting to know the community.

2. Pete says:
    July 31st, 2011 at 11:56 am

FunctionSource (the new Ajaxian) is always a good read.

I’ll be adding some of these feeds, thanks for the tip

July 31st, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Thanks. FunctionSource looks like a useful blog to be reading.

4. Philip Norton says:
    August 1st, 2011 at 3:02 pm

That’s a great list, and a neat idea! I have subscribed to most of the PHP related blogs over the years, so I have added the ones that I’m not subscribed to.

I’ve been writing (mainly PHP) stuff on #! code for a couple of years now and I’ve tried a few times to get onto PlanetPHP with no success. Maybe my writing isn’t quite up to scratch? I have managed to get the odd mention on phpdeveloper.org, which is pretty good.

Actually, phpdeveloper.org is a pretty good resource as Chris will write a short synopsis of the article so you can decide if you want to read more or not.

5. Fernando says:
    August 1st, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Also sometimes you get something interesting in twitter…

6. LornaJane says:
    August 3rd, 2011 at 11:14 am

I enjoy http://ostatic.com/ for general open source news and content, might be a nice addition? I do find that I am deleting more feeds than I add these days though … but XKCD will always be there!