We Need An Oktober(blog)Fest!

Posted by Stuart Herbert on October 3rd, 2011 in Community.

After Chris Shiflett‘s Ideas of March call earlier in the year, we had a fantastic period where the conversation moved from Twitter back to longer pieces on blogs.

Sadly, that has faded out once more. We need another blog revival.

To (slightly) paraphrase Chris’s original call, it’s very easy to take part in Oktober(blog)Fest:

• Write a post called Oktober(blog)Fest.
  • List some of the reasons you like blogs.
  • Pledge to blog more the rest of the month.
  • Share your thoughts on Twitter with the #oktoberblogfest hashtag.
  • If we all blog a little more than we normally would this month, maybe we can be reminded of all of the reasons blogs are great.

Over in Germany, it’s currently the OktoberFest, where much beer gets consumed. And it just happens that October is also one of the important months in the PHP conference calendar … where much beer gets consumed :-)

• There are two of the larger PHP conferences this month – PHP NorthWest 2011 and ZendCon.
  • If you go to either of these conferences, please blog about your experiences of the conferences, the topics you see and hear, and especially the fantastic ideas you come away with that you’re dying to try for yourself
  • Share the link to your conference blog post on Twitter with the #oktoberblogfest hashtag, so that we can all find and read your blog post.

It should be a great month of reading :-)

1. Robert says:
    October 3rd, 2011 at 2:35 pm

As for the conferences, there’s also Webkonf (http://webkonf.org/) held this weekend (October 8th) in Budapest! Ferenc aka Tyr43l (https://twitter.com/#/Tyr43l) will be speaking about PHP 5.4 and I’ll be speaking on Zend Framework 2 :)

2. Oktober(blog)fest! ~ Robert Basic says:
    October 3rd, 2011 at 3:00 pm

[...] a blog movement back in March, thanks to Stuart Herbert we now have a new one for October – Oktober(blog)fest! [...]

3. John says:
    October 3rd, 2011 at 6:02 pm

… that’s a nice idea, but please don’t flood planet php and such with off-topic posts. thanks.

October 3rd, 2011 at 6:11 pm

@john: encouraging people to blog more about PHP does not seem to be off-topic :-)

5. Christian Weiske says:
    October 4th, 2011 at 11:00 am

We do not need a Oktoberblogfest. You (and I) want more blog posts about topics that are of our interest – not blog posts about liking blog posts.

October 4th, 2011 at 2:13 pm

@christan I’m just echoing Chris’s original call. I didn’t see you complain at the time.

7. LornaJane says:
    October 16th, 2011 at 10:09 am

I missed this original article, but I second this call! I find the blog-and-comments format a much better way of exchanging technical thoughts than any kind of 140 character or “social” system. I’m off to fill up my drafts folder and get back on track with my blog, thanks for the nudge :)