I’ve recently switched from using Netbeans as my PHP dev tool of choice to Sublime Text 2. Features-wise, I think Netbeans is great. During the years I used it, I never felt that there was a feature I needed that was missing at the time. But, like all the current crop of Java-based desktop IDEs, it’s so damn ugly [1] and slow [2] that I’ve had enough. I program because it’s something that I love doing, and anything that gets in the way of that … I’ve no time for any more. So when a work colleague introduced me to Sublime Text 2, I was in the mood to give it a go, and 3 months on, I haven’t opened Netbeans once.

I’ll be the first to say that Sublime Text 2 isn’t for everyone.

• It’s a beta product, which means there are some rough edges (mostly in the plugin API I feel), but it’s more than stable enough for production use. It has crashed a couple of times, which might put some people off, but I don’t recall losing any work as a result. File management in the project pane still needs work. The regular dev builds occasionally break things.
  • It isn’t a full-blown IDE; it’s more like the spiritual successor to TextMate, an editor that I never personally cared for. In particular, it doesn’t support interactive debuggers, which means no Xdebug support, and there’s currently no obvious way for a plugin to add that functionality in [3].
  • Auto-completion isn’t anything like what you’re used to. The built-in auto-completion is based on a mix of static knowledge of languages and fuzzy matching against what you’ve recently typed. There’s no obvious intelligence about the code you’re working on, nor the parameters for any method or function. These are two things that many people will deeply miss. [4]
  • It isn’t free, but you can evaluate it for free with no time limit. If you decide to buy, it’s substantially cheaper than both PhpStorm and Zend Studio, and there’s no annual subscription element to the licensing. You’re buying a license to support and encourage an independent developer, and to show your appreciation for a very nice piece of software.
  • It’s a closed-source product. You can’t fix it yourself if it breaks, and no-one can pick up the reigns if it gets abandoned. There seems to be just one guy behind it, and if anything happened to him, that’d probably be the end of the product. That said, most of the alternatives are also closed-source too.

Given all of that, why have I switched?

1. Sublime Text 2 is very very fast. Sublime Text 2 itself opens instantly. Files open instantly (provided they’re not 100 megabyte test data files). In fact, everything happens instantly – even inside a virtual machine running on a 3 year old laptop. There are no pauses for anything to be indexed, and I’ve never seen CPU usage spike – important for us untethered users and our suffering laptop batteries [5]. And if a plugin slows things down at all, Sublime Text 2 tells you which one is the culprit so that you can go and disable it. I’d compare the importance of the speed difference to switching from a hard disk to an SSD. You don’t realise how much you’re waiting for your slow Java-based IDE until you use something that’s properly fast.
  2. It renders fonts properly – Droid Sans Mono and Ubuntu Mono in particular both look gorgeous – and even after a long day of use, my eyes don’t feel like they’ve been scratched on the inside by sharpened kitty claws all day long [6]. True story: one of my colleagues came over to ask what I was using, because he thought it looked so nice from a distance. When was the last time anyone ever thought that about a desktop Java app?
  3. All of the searching is based on an extremely powerful fuzzy matching approach. Netbeans supports regexes, which can be very handy, but most of the time when I’m looking for something, a regex is overkill but a simple string search isn’t powerful enough. If I’ve got both a class called ‘IpcProcess’ and ‘IpcProcessID’, in Sublime Text 2 I can find the ‘IpcProcessID’ class by searching for ‘ipi’; I just have to type the shortest set of characters that uniquely matches what I’m looking for. It’s much quicker than writing (or running) a regex, and soon becomes second nature.
  4. There’s a “goto anything” search panel which is lightning quick. Combined with the fuzzy matching approach, I find this a godsend for working on multiple large code bases, where there may be different classes with the same base filename, or duplicate installs of a class in vendor folders, or where I’ve got both trunk and branches checked out for the same project. It’s a killer feature, and one that has changed my workflow for the better, especially combined with my next reason. The panel’s also like using Google Instant – you get results as you type, giving you the instant feedback you need to refine your fuzzy search. (There is also a “goto symbol” search panel, and a “command palette” which allows you to search through the available editor commands to execute).
  5. Everything can be done from the keyboard. Everything can be done from the mouse too, but I found that doing everything from the keyboard is both faster and doesn’t break the flow of what I’m working on. This is something I didn’t appreciate until after I’d switched, but it’s a fantastic help to me when I’ve got another developer sat next to me and we’re looking at (or for) something together. Together with the fuzzy matching, it’s like doing software archaeology with a JCB digger instead of a trowel.
  6. It does a great job of auto-detecting whether a file uses spaces or tabs for indentation, and how big the tab stop is. There are days when it seems like no two files I open are consistent in how the code is indented, and it’s rare for anyone to have tagged on a modeline to give any hints. With Netbeans, which has a rigid config-based approach to indentation, I end up playing code-formatting table tennis with the original author of the file, as we always seem to have different indentation settings. Sublime Text 2 works out what the existing indentation approach is, and just auto-configures itself to match. It’s a great time saver [7].
  7. It strips trailing spaces from the ends of lines when I save my files. This has been broken in Netbeans for years! It’s a small thing, I know, but it really annoys the crap out of me that Netbeans doesn’t get this right. As a bonus, in Sublime Text 2 trailing spaces actually get their own setting in color schemes, so you can see exactly where they are. In Netbeans, they’re bloody invisible :(
  8. There’s a healthy ecosystem of plugins for it – over 200 plugins and counting – thanks to Will Bond’s Package Control package manager. Will is doing a great job of making sure that each plugin is tightly focused on sorting one problem only, to keep Sublime Text 2 as flexible and adaptable as possible – something to keep in mind if you start writing plugins yourself.
  9. Creating new plugins is very easy. It took me just one evening to add and release the initial PHPUnit plugin, and that included the time it took to learn both Python and the plugin API from scratch. To make an update to your plugin, simply push your changes to your master branch on GitHub. It’s as close to frictionless as you can get.
  10. I can own the tool, and set it up to suit my approach to programming. Because extending the editor is so effortless, I can automate anything that I want, to suit exactly how I want it done. I can create snippets, intelligent macros, and full-blown plugins to suit, and I can make them as and when some new need occurs – even one-off tasks. In this, it reminds me most of JED, which was my text editor of choice back in the 90′s for exactly the same reason. It’s the same reason folks love Vim. (Btw, Sublime Text 2 has a Vim mode. I haven’t tried it, so I can’t vouch for whether it’s good enough to tempt Vim users over or not).

Like Netbeans, Sublime Text 2 works on OS X, Linux and Windows [8], so I can use it everywhere I used to use Netbeans. I reckon it occupies a sweet spot that makes it very well suited to scripting languages and C/C++ development, albeit minus support for interactive debuggers.

At work, some of us have taken to it, and some of us haven’t. I’m happy to recommend it to anyone who’s looking for a change. You can take advantage of the open-ended free evaluation period, and see if it suits you or not. It’s working for me so far, and I probably spend more time using it than any other app on any of my computers.

If you do like Sublime Text 2, I’d love for you to leave a comment below with your own reasons why.

Footnotes

1. Dear Java, the 1990′s called and asked for their crappy non-aliased font renderer back. I think Windows 3.11 is missing it terribly.
  2. There was a similar parallel around 20 years. At the time, Emacs was by far the most fully-featured editor, but everyone I know chose vi because of how slow and bloaty Emacs was at the time. It was so bad, we used to say that Emacs stood for “Eight megs and constantly swapping” (this was back in the days of 640K of RAM).
  3. The lack of debugger support is, for me, the one feature that I miss every single day.
  4. There is a plugin that tries to bring Komodo’s auto-completion to Sublime Text 2, but it stopped working for me before Christmas sadly.
  5. It’s like when you switch from Firefox to Chrome for the first time … your laptop just gives a sigh of relief, and you don’t have to worry quite so much about how far away you are from the next convenient wall socket to recharge from. I can easily imagine running this on a netbook, or a laptop with very aggressive CPU throttling in place – both places where a Java-based IDE would struggle.
  6. I’m highly visual, and find it really tiring to spend 10-12 hours a day in front of poorly-rendered fonts.
  7. Now, if only everyone just did the right thing in the first place and used spaces instead of tab characters, we wouldn’t need functionality like this … :)
  8. The keybindings are different from one platform to another, and because Python isn’t a platform-agnostic language, some plugins may not work properly on Windows at first. But most plugin authors are happy to accept pull requests with portability fixes.

1. Akhmad Fathonih says:
    February 20th, 2012 at 7:27 am

Been using Sublime 2 in tandem with Netbeans. I agree, Sublime 2 is FAST and straight forward for editing. but somehow I keep coming back to Netbeans. I used to use Kate for coding. It’s pretty much similar to Sublime 2 (plus KDE’s KIO goodies, minus great font).

Code completion on functions and class prop probably the things I can’t miss at the moment. For a quick session, testing some chunk of code, or project with really few files, I often use Sublime 2.

2. Markus Fischbacher says:
    February 20th, 2012 at 8:06 am

I absolutely agree. There are some downsides with st2 but for most of them you could install a plugin.
    The documentation could use some work too but as you said it is beta.

3. Bauffman says:
    February 20th, 2012 at 8:25 am

I used to be a Zend Studio user, but recently I’m switching to VIM. The learning curve is pretty steep and I’m not yet at the speed level I was when I work with Zend. However I do notice that I’m improving each day and start missing VIM functionality within Zend Studio. To me, Zend Studio, and most of the java IDE’s are too bloated, slow and not very user friendly.

MacVIM is also very nice if you really cant do it without the mouse :)

4. Nat McHugh says:
    February 20th, 2012 at 10:04 am

I too have recently made the switch from netbeans to Sublime Text 2 and I’m very happy with my decision.

For me the big thing is the speed and also the speed is predictable. With both netbeans and eclipse I have often started editing a file only to find that the IDE is not echoing what I’m typing but doing something else such as searching for a list of autocomplete functions. The speed of searching is also a big wow in Sublime. It seems to do it so quickly and without background indexing that I can detect. Also not being an IDE means that if you want to create a new file it is a simple key stroke and not a wizard with 4 steps asking what kind of file you want and where you want to create before you even start typing.

Things I miss are: The navigator pane which in netbeans gives a quick ordered list of all functions in a class (probably fixable with a plugin). I also feel that the tree view is slightly less easy to navigate or maybe just less memorable.

5. Maxime says:
    February 20th, 2012 at 10:16 am

So you are switching from NetBean for something buggy, not free and that is not offering what you are looking for ??
    I didn’t really get it…
    I’ve used Neteans, Zend Studio and Eclipse, but nothing is better than PHPStorm !
    It’s just the best. Never crashed. Auto-complete is working like a charm. Not that heavy for a JAVA based application.

6. Pierre says:
    February 20th, 2012 at 10:57 am

PHPStorm for the win. Cross platform, debugger (cli or web, local or remote), static analyzer, etc. etc.

7. Harald Ponce de Leon says:
    February 20th, 2012 at 11:16 am

The SublimeLinter plugin is great for detecting syntax errors:

8. Michał Ty says:
    February 20th, 2012 at 12:01 pm

I can only speak about the PHP version of Netbeans, but it’s not slow if you get the right hardware. Buying a very fast computer should be the obvious thing to do for a developer. It’s not that expensive either — much, much cheaper than, say, a used car.

And the fonts look great, I’m using Consolas and it looks exactly the same as everywhere else on my system. I think you’re doing something wrong :)

I do, however, envy the fuzzy searching.

9. Nike Shoes says:
    February 20th, 2012 at 12:38 pm

1.Dear Java, the 1990′s called and asked for their crappy non-aliased font renderer back. I think Windows 3.11 is missing it terribly.

10. Timothy Warren says:
    February 20th, 2012 at 2:02 pm

I miss the object viewer, or whatever that’s called in Netbeans, but that’s about it. If there was a plugin for that I’d be all set.

11. JonoB says:
    February 20th, 2012 at 3:48 pm

No debugging capability unfortunately makes it close to useless for me.

February 20th, 2012 at 3:48 pm

@pierre: it’s very powerful, but still renders fonts like it’s 1994.

February 20th, 2012 at 3:49 pm

@Harald: yes, I use that one myself, but I know several people who have found it slow on their systems.

February 20th, 2012 at 3:51 pm

@Michal: I didn’t think that Netbeans was slow until I ditched it for ST2. Even on a decent Core-i7 w/ 8GB of RAM and a decent SSD, Netbeans is left for dead by ST2′s speed.

February 20th, 2012 at 3:52 pm

@Timothy: you can get close. You can hit CTRL+R to browse the symbols in the current tab, and (if you install the Goto Symbol plugin), you can hit CTRL+SHIFT+R to browse all symbols in all open tabs. I find this works well for me, as there’s more space on-screen for code :)

February 20th, 2012 at 3:53 pm

@JonoB: yeah, that’s one thing that does need adding :(

February 20th, 2012 at 3:54 pm

@Maxime: no, I switched from Netbeans to something that’s incredibly quick (which PHPStorm isn’t), and which renders fonts properly (again, which PHPStorm doesn’t), and very extensible. That is what I was looking for :)

18. JiN says:
    February 20th, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Can’t give up all the features that NetBeans provides. The one I use for every new project is the Code Generator for PHP Classes. Also I have heavily customized the keys as well.

19. Liviu says:
    February 21st, 2012 at 7:16 am

ST2 is great but I still open netbeans for that diff feature.

20. Sky says:
    February 24th, 2012 at 9:33 am

Hello

I tried this … for 2 days, cant stand it anymore :)
    Im going back to netbeans.

I had bug after bug with Windows 7…

I must say that all the Features Netbeans has is going to keep me for a long time still.

And its free and is free. :-)

21. La veille du week-end (vingt-cinquième) | LoïcG says:
    February 24th, 2012 at 12:11 pm

[...] 10 (bonnes?) raisons de passer de Netbeans à SublimeText2: #fdw #ide #netbeans #sublimetext2 : via @LaFermeDuWeb [...]

22. mandev says:
    February 29th, 2012 at 10:45 pm

I tried ST2. It crashed 3 times in a week. Back to netbeans. Will try again next year. END.

23. Review: 2 PHP tools rise above the rest | freecsswebsitetemplates.com says:
    March 21st, 2012 at 8:22 pm

[...] Herbert, a PHP developer, switched to Sublime Text, a some-more elementary content editor, and wrote about a change, extolling a simplicity. In essence, he didn’t need all of a additional facilities from an [...]

24. Peter222 says:
    March 31st, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Netbeans is slow? Nowadays, when 4GB RAM and dual core is standard? I tried ST2, it is very promising but code completion is abysmally. So I stay with Netbeans to bigger projects and gedit-mate for quick editing.

25. Luke Sturgess says:
    April 4th, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Hi Stuart. Have you tried getting this Xdebug plugin to work https://github.com/Kindari/SublimeXdebug ?

26. Nique says:
    April 21st, 2012 at 4:01 pm

@Mandev,

Netbeans crashes all the time here.. It was a good IDE.. now it is really F up.

27. Bradley says:
    June 12th, 2012 at 3:50 am

Oh please. Let’s embed so much useless whitespace for INDENTATION that you have to wait for your cursor to move over eight bloody characters JUST to get to the beginning of your indentation.

Tabsize: 8 please!

28. Kirby says:
    June 22nd, 2012 at 9:03 pm

No debugger? Jeez, this is 2012 after all. I’ll stick with NetBeans. The heck with echo, print_dump, etc.

And I really don’t think NetBeans is that slow. I’ve seen people with faster environments but they just don’t utilize it correctly. When I’m waiting for a page change I think about what I need to do next. The guys with ‘fast stuff’ don’t even think about what they are doing half the time.

29. Joe says:
    July 18th, 2012 at 3:03 pm

NetBeans is slow, I’m on a 6 core AMD @ 3.2 Ghz with 8GB Ram running Windows 7 and occasionally (like once a day) I feel like I’ve been transported back in time and am working on my original computer, a Pentium S (100 MHZ) with half a gig of Ram running Windows 98. Having to wait for typing is annoying, and indicates that NetBeans (while great) really needs optimization.

Sometimes the solution to the above is to close projects not in use, but a few of my projects are massive, having hundreds of files, and thus even closing “unused” projects doesn’t help disable the time-machine functionality.

Also, NetBeans needs to really adopt a more modular approach, having it trying to force connections to databases is asinine, and something that really needs an On/Off Switch.

30. Jacob says:
    July 18th, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Sublime has support for xDebug. I don’t know when it was added but recently I would assume.

31. Sebastiaan says:
    July 19th, 2012 at 8:22 am

I just found a sublime snippet on Github that makes autocomplete take the entire project into account instead of only the active file (ctags .tags file required, there’s also an ctags plugin available through the package manager): https://gist.github.com/3141501

32. Sebastiaan says:
    July 19th, 2012 at 8:24 am

Oops, I linked to my fork, here’s the original gist: https://gist.github.com/1825401

33. Feyzi says:
    August 3rd, 2012 at 7:52 pm

The fastest and most incredible code editor; I tried Eclipse, Aptana, Komodo Edit-IDE, JEdit, NotePad++ etc. and finally i am stopping to search another one.. I found it –> Sublime Text 2
    (Sorry for my English !..)

34. Setting Up Sublime Text 2 For PHP Development | Blog – Leon Qiu says:
    August 28th, 2012 at 12:52 pm

[...] Wow. Last week’s opinion piece about switching from Netbeans to Sublime Text 2 has been the most popular blog post I’ve written for quite a while. [...]

35. Andrej Pintar says:
    September 5th, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Hi,

Been struggling a long time to choose tool that is fast and not eating resources. Yup found it now. I tryed eclipse, netbeans, komodo, aptana, kdevelop, phpstorm and they just don’t cut it on a low end machine like Celeron 1.3 with 512mb ram. I don’t use windows because I just don’t feel at home. I am using Ubuntu as a main pc with much ram but netbeans eats it. So its goodbye JAVA PHP IDE. After looking youtube about Sublime Text and VIM (still need to learn VIM noob:D) it looks like when it comes to ease of use Sublime Works great. No diff in 32 or 64 noticed by me. And it uses a small memory footprint. Also found my CodeIgniter snippets on GitHub. And I am ready to rock and roll. GUI is great. Fonts and left side (code map) its just marvelous. Hope the guy doesn’t die. It would be developer tragedy. I vote Sublime and VIM. Hope to see more documentation and best practices using Sublime as well new features. Thanks for the review on YT.

36. Andrej Pintar says:
    September 5th, 2012 at 9:53 pm

And one more thing. If you use Lightweight LINUX distro use something that is not GNOME or KDE. They just eat all you ram. Tryed ZENIX, Putty, Macpup and JoliOS 1.2 plus some more. JoliOS is great. But you need much ram and a fast HDD for it (uses HTML5, netbook distro). Zenix has access to debian packages so you would not miss any software that you use. And it only eaten 80mb of ram on full startup (gui+kernel+etc). Thanks.

37. Guy says:
    September 6th, 2012 at 6:07 pm

When I press the “Q” key on the keyboard the editor inserts one Q. Based on that experience when I press the “Tab” key I expect the editor to insert a tab, not 2/3/4/8 spaces.

September 9th, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Even vintage editors like vim treat the tab as the ‘indent’ key. Sublime is no different to that.

39. Ben says:
    September 13th, 2012 at 8:30 am

Java has good anti-alias font render for while, you need enable some switch.

For my ubuntu 12.04
    add below options to netbeans-7.2/etc/netbeans.conf : netbeans_default_options

–laf Nimbus -J-Dswing.aatext=true -J-Dawt.useSystemAAFontSettings=lcd

40. Ben says:
    September 14th, 2012 at 5:30 am

I moved from PhpStorm to Sublime Text 2 some weeks ago and I really love it! The startup speed of ST2 is unbeatable… I really like it that ST2 is fast like speedy gonzales and thats what I am was looking for. Missing or better “autocomplete” or anything like that was not a point for me to move back to PhpStorm. Thanks Stuart for your Tutorial and your tips for pimping ST2 for PHP development!

41. Steve Clay says:
    September 24th, 2012 at 7:08 pm

I think whenever you don’t use IDEs that truly understand the codebase, you’re sacrificing productivity for personal comfort. If an IDE freezes momentarily because it’s busy analyzing/detecting problems in your codebase, IMO that’s worth a few seconds. It’s potentially saving me and end users hours of future work dealing with the bugs that I didn’t catch.

42. icma says:
    October 8th, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Some great tutorials on Sublime Text 2 at tuts plus .. and free ..

43. Sergey says:
    October 8th, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Hi! First of all thanks for this great article! It’s really nice!)

But I have one question: “Why did you excluded vendor folder (for ctags) it’s just have some dublicates of code?”. Too hard for me to understand aurally ;)

44. bluescreenjunky says:
    October 18th, 2012 at 2:54 pm

If you have problems with fonts being aliased in every java based application (netbeans, phpstorm), I think you may have a problem with your OS. I wouldn’t be surprised if you ran a Linux based OS since in my exoerience they handle font rendering very poorly, that’s actually one of the reasons I went back to Windows after trying Ubuntu.

Anyway, still using netbeans here (which keeps getting better and better now that 7.2 improved performance a lot and 7.3 adds support for Symfony 2, Twig, and improves jquery), but I might give ST2 another chance soon :-)

October 22nd, 2012 at 5:43 pm

@sergey: I excluded the duplicates in the vendor folder because sometimes in ST2 it doesn’t have the space to show you the full path to the file, and sometimes you open up the file in the vendor folder and not the one you wanted to open in the src/ folder.

46. Lars says:
    October 29th, 2012 at 8:44 am

Well well this was a interesting read and also watched your youtube video
    for sublime, now I have been using eclipse for a long time and really started to get annoyed by the “not responding” message, I have had that message every time i’ve started the damn program up.

But even with all my projects loaded in and all, i do not get that in sublime.
    So a thank you for showing it, even with some features missing initially well then i found plugins :)

Easy to setup key bindings it’s just a joy to work again.

Thank you very much.

47. Mohd Shakir Zakaria says:
    November 2nd, 2012 at 9:24 am

I’ve been using Aptana for my PHP development, until the day that I felt it was too slow for me.

I like Aptana’s dark theme which is very pleasing to my eyes, and with some very minor modification for Sublime’s sidebar, I found my Aptana’s replacement.

I tried theming other editors/IDEs (kate, Eclipse, NetBeans, etc), but for some reasons I didn’t like them.

Of course, most of the reasons mentioned in this post were part of my considerations as well…

48. Rob Levin says:
    November 24th, 2012 at 5:42 am

I spent this morning figuring out if/how I’d get “some sort of jump to symbol” working. I’d tried both the sublimecodeintel and ctags plugins once before with not much success. So this morning was a second attempt after seeing my colleague show off his jumpt to and git integration.

I first tried with code intel trying the development branch, different sha1 commits, etc., etc. I finally gave up and went for the ctags plugin which works quite well. I had to symlink my /usr/local/bin/ctags to my custom excuberant ~/bin/ctags install before it worked. The Control-` sublime console was helpful in tracking down the issue (and other issues as well). I also had to remap the Cntl-t Cntl-t et al keybinding since Cntl-t seems to map to the transpose file. I went ahead and just overrode adding a ‘super’ (Command) prefix to all of those. I can now report success and I no longer have to feel spite and envy that my phpstorm colleagues have this very important feature!

Also, I was also envious of the git integration with phpstorm … no more, I’ve cut my teeth on sourcetree with external diffs pointed to p4merge (kdiff3 seemed to work as well too and I might go back and forth before I settle). A nice package install search for sourcetree surprised me with two useful plugins; one for jumping from currently opened file to sourcetree, and another with a more general keybindings/hotkey approach to opening current repo in sourcetree.

So with these two tweakings (intel and git integration), I’m finally able to stand proud along side my phpstorm using colleagues ;-) Oh, yeah I tried the main git sublime plugin but wasn’t so fond of how long a git blame for example takes, etc., etc., so I’m happy with the sourcetree approach. Yeah, $59 well spent!

49. Rob Levin says:
    November 24th, 2012 at 5:46 am

Oh, and the youtube video on ctags was very helpful Stuart! I was able to ctag up some quite large projects with some judicious –exclude=foo goodness thanks to this vid. I like how slowly and methodically you go through things. I can just about tab out of your video and actually follow along back and forth without having to completely pause the vid. Keep up the good work!

50. Edwin Yip says:
    December 3rd, 2012 at 4:00 pm

The ‘go to anything feature’ is a nice one. I’m working on LIVEditor (linked from my name) which is a text editor with a chromium web browser embedded, it’s not a general text editor but it’s specifically designed for editing html/css (js will come later). It’s also very fast ;)